I usually make cashew chicken in a pan, stir fried. In order to eat healthier, I decided to roast it this time. It turned out delicious and it was very, very easy! A lot less messy than frying! Cooking time is about 45 minutes.
- 4 bone in chicken breast with the skin on
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 – 4 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- about 1/2 cup unsalted or lightly salted cashews (if your only option is salted cashews, reduce the amount of salt you add to the chicken)
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- Heat oven to 400º
- Add 1 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil to a roasting pan, making sure it coats the bottom of the pan.
- Place the chicken in the pan, season with salt on pepper on both sides and place skin side up to roast.
- Trim away the base of the bok choy bulb, separate each white/green leaf and wash thoroughly. Place on a paper towel to air dry while the chicken starts to roast. Slice each garlic clove thinly, diagonally, set aside. In a measuring cup or small bowl, mix the sesame oil, rice vinegar and soy sauce, set aside.
- Roast the chicken for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove it from the oven, lower the heat of your oven to 375º . Place the pan with the chicken on your counter, make sure to protect the counter as the roasting pan will be very hot. Drizzle with sesame oil mixture over the top of the chicken breast, allowing it to coat each one and run down to the base of the pan. Add cashews, sliced garlic and baby bok choy; you can trim the green parts off the bok choy, or leave it. If you leave them, they do turn a little brown during roasting, but they are still edible. Place these ingredients around the chicken, so it’s not on top of the chicken. Return the pan to the oven, and cook for 15 – 20 additional minutes. Since all ovens vary and chicken breast come in all sizes, check the core temperature with a meat thermometer (160-165 degrees). If extra cooking time is needed, cook in increments of 3 – 5 minutes, checking temperature until the chicken is cooked. I roast chicken on the “convection roast” setting of my Miele Convection Oven.
- Allow the chicken to rest on the counter for 5 minutes, then separate the meat away from the bone and slice 1 1/2″ thick. Spoon the sauce, cashews and bok choy over the sliced chicken to serve.