I just love avocados. I know very few people who don’t and I’m slowing turning them over to the green side. I love it smashed on toast…hence, avocado toast. I’ll simply make that for breakfast and sometimes top it with a fried or poached egg. Got this idea to top it with my left over chicken!
- Two slices of crusty, rustic bread–toasted
- One Haas avocado
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Left over roasted citrus chicken
- Toast bread. Place each slice on a plate side by side.
- Peel the avocado. Slice it and place the slices evenly on the two pieces of toast.
- Roughly smash with a fork, but not too much so it’s still pretty chunky, plus you don’t want to smash your bread! Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and ground black pepper. I also used ground pink peppercorns… I found this at my local Whole Foods Market. It’s Frontier brand pink peppercorns. It comes in a handy grinder container. It has a nice spicy-sweet flavor with a hint of citrus. It’s my new favorite!
- Slice the left over chicken breast in relatively thin slices, about 1/4″ thick. Warm them slightly, just to kill the cold from being refrigerated. Place the sliced chicken on top of the smashed avocado, drizzle with a little extra olive oil to re-moisten the chicken, or if you have left over pan juices or gravy you can drizzle that on top as well. Sprinkle with fresh, chopped parsley. Enjoy with a fork and a knife…or with your two hands; it’s a sandwich after all. It’s truly healthy and delicious! Really, when is bread, avocado and chicken not amazing?